Long, shiny and silky hair is almost every girl’s dream. And while we would love a magic wand to helps us grow out that regretfully short haircut, the fact is that you cannot make your hair cells grow faster than they naturally do. Luckily for you there are a couple of ways you can help your hair be at its strongest and longest. But before we dive into that, start taking notes because here’s the 411 on hair…
- Hair is made of a protein called keratin.
- It begins growing from a root in the bottom of the follicle.
- There is something called a hair “bulb” that forms the base of the each follicle.
- Within this bulb there are living cells that grow upto the hair shaft.
- Above the shaft is the hair you see on your scalp.
Get it? Now, read on to know the simple ways you can keep your hair long and healthy…
1. Scalp Health
A clean scalp is a happy scalp. And happy means it’s healthy! Make sure you always take time out to keep your scalp free from irritation and dirt. If you have a sensitive scalp, opt for shampoos that do not include any fragrances or added colours. Here are a couple of ways you can keep your scalp happy:
- Oil your hair frequently to clean product build-up and dirt sitting on your scalp.
- Try massaging your scalp regularly (during a shower or after oiling) by adding slight pressure with the tips of your fingers.
- Use moisture-based masks weekly for the required TLC your hair needs.
Just like you need essential sources of nourishment to stay fit and in good health, your hair also relies on the same. Healthy hair needs protein and iron to look and feel amazing. Foods rich in sulfur and amino acids are the key source to generate new hair cells. Here’s what you need to include into your diet:
- Red meat
If you’re laying off the meat you might need to opt for other sources of nourishment. Hair pills and supplements are a great option as they provide ample nutrients and essential minerals. Check for supplements that include biotin as it can help make your hair stronger and healthier.
P.S: Before you start to take any kind of supplements, it’s highly recommended that you check in with your doctor to make sure that you’re taking the right one and in the right amount.
This rule is an oldie but a goodie.
- Make sure you always use a heat protectant before you style your hair.
- Don’t brush wet hair. Use a wide toothed comb instead.
- Avoid styling your hair everyday.
However, if you still want and need a blow dry, try moving the nozzle of the hairdryer away from the shaft instead of keeping it directly on top of your hair strands.
One would think that this isn’t that big of a deal but to keep hair full and healthy, it’s important to invest in the right tools. Instead of a metal brush use a wooden-handed one as it won’t absorb heat like the former brush would.
Remember, long hair isn’t an overnight job. You need to take the time out to care for your hair’s external health, which in turn will make it healthier on the inside.